This year, the Rainforest World Music Festival will be featuring #UrBins (Urban + Bins) a series of attractive and practical recycling bins designed by a group of local artists.
The #Urbins project aims to use the attractive and eye-catching designs to draw attention to the festival’s recycling bins, using it as a means to fight the stigma society has towards its own waste.
This will encourage them to address the problems surrounding trash, to actively participate in segregating their trash and recycling it.
It also aims to add beauty, creativity and soul to something practical and integral in daily life.
#Urbins also focuses on the participation of the local communities in carrying out this project.
Most importantly, #UrBins project hopes to inspire the active local communities after the festival.
They will never see rubbish and recycling bins the same way again, they might initiate a smaller scale #UrBins project of their own in their own neighborhoods, schools and offices – spreading sustainable yet organic awareness on recycling.
These designs are in line with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 11, which is to “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”.
This project is organised by SPATIVATE, a social enterprise that activates soulless public spaces through creative placemaking strategies, with the support of the Sarawak Tourism Board.
How to submit your #Urbins design:
- Submissions are open to everyone currently residing in Sarawak until the end of RWMF2019 in July this year, whether locals, international students or expatriates. We encourage all applicants to use their personal life story in their designs.
- Submissions must creatively incorporate the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goal 11: “Sustainable Cities & Communities” into their design and storytelling.
- One submission must have two designs, each design must include the front, back, two sides and top of the bin, together with the artist’s watermark.
- One submission can either be submitted individually or with a team of creative people, but only 1 person is entitled to the complementary 3-day RWMF2019 ticket, should they be shortlisted as one of our 15 UrBinists.
- Submissions will be posted publicly through an applicant’s Facebook post, where they must:
- “Like/Follow” and “Mention” @spativate, @sarawaktravel and @rwmf.official in their submission captions
- Hashtag #UrBins, #RWMF2019 #BinsPlease and #MoreSarawak.
- 15 UrBinists (2 designs each) will be selected by a group professional juries, and their two designs will be presented to the public to vote through Facebook. The winning designs will go onto the bins.
- Once the design has been chosen, the UrBinists will be given new bins with RM300 seed funding to finish their project, and the final bins will be placed around the Festival grounds for use.
- Submissions are open from 3rd May 2019 – 22nd May 2019 (20 days). The public vote will start on 27th May to 9th June.
RWMF as an Environmentally Sustainable and Responsible Event
The Sarawak Tourism Board is dedicated in making the Rainforest World Music Festival as sustainable and responsible as possible, taking steps in reducing and reusing the waste that inevitably gets generated during an event.
Aside from the usual recycling bins and composting bins around the festival grounds, food and drink vendors will also be using biodegradable or recyclable materials, and water dispensers will be available throughout the festival this year. Festival goers are encouraged to bring their empty bottles when they attend the festival. Collapsible cups will also be on sale at the venue.
The Festival will have a total of 36 recycling and composting bins around the grounds, including the #urbins.