The Old Court House in Kuching

Formerly known as the Court House Complex, the Sarawak Tourism Complex was built in 1871 as the seat of Sarawak’s government, and was used for this purpose as late as 1973. It is a superb collection of buildings, with magnificent belian (ironwood) roofs and beautiful detailing inside and out, reflecting local art forms.

The colonial-baroque Clock Tower was added in 1883 and the Charles Brooke Memorial in 1924. Following restoration of the original buildings and redevelopment, this important heritage site (situated at the junction of Main Bazaar and Jalan Tun Abang Haji Openg, facing the Waterfront) reopened in 2003.

The serene yard of the complex
The serene yard of the complex

Today, this heritage building is a favourite place to do both outdoor and indoor wedding due to its colonial look and feel.

A Malay wedding reception outside the complex
A Malay wedding reception outside the complex

While the inside of the building provides air-conditioning, the surroundings of the Old Court House provide a wonderful place for an outdoor wedding, or a wedding in the park. The rough estimate for a wedding here is 300 pax and parkiing woes are addressed by using the nearby Plaza Merdeka Shopping Mall basement carpark.

To book the place, kindly contact:
SARAWAK TOURISM COMPLEX
Jln Tun Abg Hj Openg Old Court House,
93400 Kuching Sarawak,
Malaysia
Telephone: +6082 418601
Facsimile: +6082 417601